Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lillywhites ease past poor Seagulls

Mark Quigley stole the show with a first half hat-trick as Dundalk rose to fifth in the Airtricity League Premier Division.

The Lilywhite's moved ahead of both Bray and Bohemians after a resounding victory at the Carlisle Grounds over ten-man Wanderers.

The visitors started brightly as Daniel Kearns' sixth minute corner wasn't properly dealt with by the hosts and Quigley's dipping effort from the edge of the box flew narrowly wide.

Having put six past Galway last Friday at Oriel Park, the Louth outfit handed the Green and White's their heaviest defeat of the season as they conceded a penalty and also had a player sent off.

However, four minutes later the striker hit the target with a superb solo effort for his sixth league goal of 2011.

Quigley collected Keith Ward's cross-field pass in his own half and embarked on weaving run. And as the Bray defence stood off, the former Bohs and St. Pat's man guided a placed shot with his left foot from outside the box past the despairing Matt Gregg.

Falling behind at least forced the Wicklow side in action.

John Mulroy steered a header wide from Joe Kendrick's free kick, while Irish U19 front man Conor Murphy sliced wide when well place 20-yards out. And that impetus produced a 26th minute equaliser.

John Mulroy tried to pick out the run of Dane Massey. But the winger was tracked all the way by Simon Madden. But Chris Shield robbed the defender on the right side of the area and dinked a cross to the back stick were the unmarked Danny O'Connor powered in a stunning diving header.

Any joy though was short-lived as the Louth club were back in front and the Seasiders down to ten men.

Quigley showed good feet to evade Derek Prendergast inside the box and cut back inside only to have his heels clipped by the covering Kendrick in the 29th minute.

Referee Anthony Buttimer produced a red card for the former Drogheda man while Quigley sent Gregg the wrong way from the resulting spot-kick.

Bray responded yet again with Mulroy having a back post cross-shot cleared out for a corner. Prendergast chested wide from Gary Dempsey's resulting delivery though.

It got worst for Pat Devlin's men as Quigley completed his treble two minutes before the interval.

Daniel Kearns held off Massey and burst along the edge of the box. The ball ran kindly to the forward whose low effort somehow squirmed through Gregg's grasp and bobbled over the line.

However, playing against one of his former clubs, Gregg made a good save just before the hour to deny Mark Griffin who had been played in by Ward.

Bray should have reduced their deficit moments later as Shields glanced a free header wide from eight yards from Dempsey's quickly taken free kick.

However, Quigley turn provider in the 68th minute as fellow forward Mark Griffin registered his fourth score in his last three games. Quigley lofted the ball over the top and his strike partner burst clear to cooly slot low beyond Gregg.