Monday, June 20, 2011

Bray slump to 5th League Defeat

Christy Fagan's double saw Bohemians burst Bray Wanderers' bubble in the Airtricity Premier Division at a rain drenched Carlisle Grounds on Monday night.

The Gypsies repeated their opening day success against the same opposition to end the Seagulls recent six-match unbeaten run.

From the set-piece, Brennan delivered to the back post where Fagan was denied with a point blank header by Gregg's reaction save.

Bohs took the lead after 36 minutes. Killian Brennan stung the palms of Matt Gregg from 25-yards with the keeper failing to prevent the corner.

But the former Manchester United starlet blasted the rebound to the roof of the net.

It ended the Gypsies barren run of 306 minutes without a top-flight goal.

It was the forward's first in open play in the league.

He doubled his tally to four after a Shane O'Connor mistake just 90 seconds in to the second period.

Unmarked when attempting to cut-out a free, the Bray full-back slipped and skewed his header towards his own goal.

Fagan nipped in and dinked the ball past Gregg, with the covering Derek Prendergast unable to prevent the ball crossing the line.

Wanderers had the opportunity to reduce the deficit in the 70th minute.

But after beating the offside, substitute Shane O'Neill could only fire against the outside of the post from 12 yards.

However, the striker won the throw that saw the Green and White's make it 2-1 in the 78th minute.

Play was spread infield and skipper Gary Dempsey registered his first of the campaign with a left footed 20-yard shot that flew into the roof of the net via a deflection off Mark Rossiter.

As the rain pelted down, both teams had chances. Sub Keith Buckley chipped over four minutes from time while seconds later, Dempsey's flick rolled wide of the far upright.

The host wasted a glorious opportunity to equalise in the 90th minute.

Dempsey's quick free saw sub Dan McGuinness hook in the danger zone.

With Bohs calling for a free, Conor Murphy placed his shot wide when unmarked 10 yards out.

Having had their clash with Dundalk at the same venue postponed last Friday, the Seasiders made one change from the side that had beaten Galway as Adam Mitchell replaced Stephen Last in defence.

As for the Dubliner's, Anto Flood was banned but Brennan returned after suspension.

The Wicklow side broke from their usual 4-1-4-1 formation and started both John Mulroy and Conor Murphy in attack in a 4-1-3-2 line-up.

Instead, the visitors deployed a 4-1-4-1 line-up with Ger O'Brien filling a holding role in midfield and Fagan as the lone striker.

After Fagan dragged a tenth minute effort across the face of goal after ten minutes, the first attempt on target came in the 32nd minute.

Joe Kendrick clipped in a free from the right left footed. And Derek Prendergast steered a ten-yard header straight into Barry Murphy's arms.

Then in a sweeping move three man move saw Dane Massey chipped a cross into the penalty area were Mulroy could only flick his close range header wide of the far post.

Fagan's double proved decisive come the end of the game as the Gypsies secured a much-needed win.