Saturday, April 23, 2011

Seagulls Soar to 2nd in top flight

Bray Wanderers equalled their club record of fourth Premier Division wins in a row as they proved too good for struggling Galway United in the Airtricity Premier Division.

Two quick-goals had the Seagulls in the driving seat early at the
Carlisle Grounds last night they climbed to second in the top-flight

After Danny O'Connor spurned a clear opening after just 60 seconds when slicing wide when beating the offside, the Seagulls didn't have to wait long to break the dead-lock.Gary Dempsey curled over a third minute corner that met was by Dane Massey who made a ghosting run to the near post. But the ball took a slight deflection off Conor Murphy who diverted it in from six yards.

And just like last week's win against Drogheda, Wanderers went two up after just nine minutes.

Dempsey was again the provider with another corner from the left wing right footed.

This time, it came all the way across to defender Derek Prendergast who bundled the ball in from three yards out with his knees for his first goal of the campaign.

Both Jake Kelly and Dempsey were just off target with shot before the half hour and the home side dominated. They went close to adding a third seven minutes before the interval.

Another Dempsey corner was cleared to the waiting Kelly on the edge of the box. His first drive was blocked but his follow-up half volley found the top netting.

Wanderers continued to boss proceedings in the second period. Kelly pounced on a loose pass in the 55th minute but scuffed wide from 20-yards when space opened up for him.

Despite United coming more into the contest, it was the Wicklow side who had another opportunity in the 73rd minute.

Kelly outstripped Shaun Kelly along the left flank but sub ShaneO'Neill couldn't get the vital touch to the low delivery.

Moments later, O'Neill embarked on a solo run from his own half.Beating three players, he cut inn off the left wing only to denied by Greg Fleming's brave block.

Bray continued to press with Chris Shields getting on the end of a
free to head into the danger area in the 83rd minute. Kelly turned his marker only to see his driven attempt pushed out by Fleming.

The Tribesmen mustered their only chance of note in the 88th minute. Karl Moore's clever back-heel released Shaun Kelly only for Darren Quigley to make a parried save.

In stoppage time, Bray nearly added the third score their play merited.

Massey's clever pass set up Kelly whose volley on the turn from14-yards hit the far post. O'Neill couldn't force the rebound in while sub Dean Zambra chipped the loose ball wide.