Saturday, October 2, 2010

Bohs escape with a point against flying Seagulls

Bohemians had two men sent off as they were held to a 0-0 draw against Bray Wanderers at Dalymount Park on Friday night.

Despite finishing with nine men, the Gypsies had the consolation of knowing that they can't lose their title to Shamrock Rovers at Dalymount on Tuesday night, as the Hoops lost at UCD.

After a scoreless first half, the red mist descended on Bohemians on 72 minutes as Quigley was shown a straight red card for head butting Adam Mitchell after a needless scuffle.

It got worse for the home side six minutes later when keeper O'Connor was sent off for taking down Gary Shaw outside his box as the teenager raced onto Shane O'Neill's flick.

Shaw then brought a good save low down at his right-hand post from substitute keeper Barry Murphy.

Bray pressed against the nine men and Dean Zambra fired wide and the drama continued as Murphy made another terrific stop from Dane Massey on 89 minutes.

Incredibly, Bohemians might actually have won it in stoppage time. Subsitute Aaron Greene threaded a ball through for the run of Paul Keegan who brought the stop of the night from Matt Gregg.

Bray almost put to rights the fact they'd failed to score against Bohemians in the previous four matches between the sides this season within two minutes.

A mix-up between keeper Chris O'Connor and defender Brian Shelley almost gifted the ball to the lurking Shaw before it was hacked clear.

Another error gave Wanderers another unexpected sniff of goal on 24 minutes. Winger Quigley's stray pas put Shaw in with O'Connor having to produce a good save with his feet to deprive the teenager.

Bohemians needed to inject some impetus to their game and Glenn Cronin provided the spark with two quick-fire efforts.

The midfielder first let rip from all of 35 yards only to see his shot arrow just wide of the post.

Then as Bray failed to clear Keegan's corner, Cronin's low drive from the edge of the box came off a post.

That lift to the Bohemians faithfully was soon followed by another roar as news of a UCD equaliser against Shamrock Rovers filtered through.

Paddy Madden then raced into an opening, held off two defenders before drilling wide as Bohemians continued to probe.

The lively Madden then almost caught out Gregg. The keeper was back peddling having hacked the ball into touch. Keegan's quick throw was flicked on by Raffaelle Cretaro for Madden whose first time effort went straight into the grateful arms of the retreating Gregg.

Gregg was quickly into action within two minutes of the resumption, brilliantly saving with his feet from Madden after Cretaro had set him up.

Bray should have had a spot kick in the dying seconds, Gary SHaw was pushed over in the area but Referee Padraig Sutton though better of it and blew the final Whistle.

And while Bray pushed for a late winner against the nine men, the share of the spoils was probably the deserved outcome.