Friday, September 17, 2010

Bohs Ease past Bray

Bohemians continued their fine form by booking a place in the FAI Ford Cup semi-finals with a comfortable 3-0 victory over 10-man Bray Wanderers at Dalymount Park.

Mark Quigley (21), Raffaele Cretaro (53) and substitute Aaron Greene (79) were on target for the home side, with Shane O'Connor seeing red for Bray in the 56th minute.

Cretaro received the man-of-the-match award for a fine display, with Bray rarely troubling Chris O'Connor in the Bohs goal.Bohemians named the same side for the third game running with Mark Quigley, Jason Byrne and Raffaele Cretaro forming their attack.

Dane Massey came in for Jake Kelly in Bray's only change from the 2-2 draw with Sporting Fingal last Monday night.
Bohemians were the first to threaten.

Raffaele Cretaro did well to control a long punt forward just passed the half-way line. The former Sligo Rovers man fed Mark Quigley and his cross found Gareth McGlynn, but the linesman adjudged the midfielder offside.

Bray began to trouble the Bohs defence shortly after.

McGlynn had to deflect the ball over his own crossbar and then Chris Sheilds' header from the resulting corner was just off-target.

It proved to be a rare opening for Bray in the first 45 minutes as the home side went on to create nearly all of the chances in the remainder of the half.

Jason Byrne came very close to scoring the opener for the home side when Cretaro's deft pass found his striker partner, but the effort towards goal flashed just wide with Matt Gregg rooted to the spot.

In the 20th minute Cretaro took advantage of an excellent through-ball by Brian Shelley but the striker's shot was blocked by Wanderers defender Sean Houston.

However, Pat Fenlon's side were in front shortly afterwards.

Quigley's sweet shot from around 25 yards out found the bottom corner of the net with Matt Gregg, at full stretch, unable to get a hand to it.

It was a magnificent strike by Quigley, who is finally finding goalscoring form after a difficult start to his career in Dalymount.

It was almost two for Bohs moments later when Cretaro's snap shot was palmed away by Gregg.

The Gypsies were well on top now with Byrne heading wide from the middle of the area after good work by Powell on the left.

In the 33rd minute the busy Cretaro was fouled close to the corner flag. Powell's free-kick picked out Brennan but Bray managed to clear the ball to safety.

Powell and Cretaro linked up again three minutes later but the striker's cross had too much power on it for any of his colleagues to get near it.

Bray almost drew level out of nothing in the 42nd minute when Shaw's effort from a Massey pass was pushed away by Chris O'Connor.

The rebound came to Dean Zambra, but his goal-bound strike was cleared off the line by Jason McGuinness.

Just before half-time the Premier Division champions were delivered a blow when McGuinness was forced off with what look liked a hamstring problem. Ken Oman was introduced in his place.

In the second half both sides started slowly but the tie was effectively ended in the space of three minutes with a second Bohs goal and a red card for the Wicklow side.

Killian Brennan claimed the ball in the middle of field, he slid in Cretaro and the Sligonian confidently struck the ball passed Gregg and in to the Bray net.

On 56 minutes it was Cretaro who was once again terrorising Bray.

He was pulled back by Shane O'Connor when looking to run on to a through-ball and referee Neil Doyle produced a red card for the Wanderers man.

Gary Dempsey tried to get Bray back in it just after the hour mark but his effort from distance went wide of goal.

Owen Heary was the next to have a pop at goal. The defender's effort was poor and sailed over the Bray crossbar.

The game went very quiet for a long period in the half with Bray offering little to trouble Bohs and a host of substitutions disrupting any rhythm the home side had.

A lull in the game was ended on 79 minutes when the excellent Cretaro played a sublime ball to substitute Aaron Greene and the ex-Galway striker rounded the goalkeeper to score the third goal for the home side.

Brennan's stinging shot was well held by Gregg with four minutes to go. Greene then produced a contender for miss of the season when he was once again jinked passed Gregg, but he somehow conspired to knock the ball wide of the empty goal.

Houston had the last attempt at goal in the game with O'Connor claiming the ball well despite a crowded penalty area.

Bohs move on to the last four of the competition, while Bray will now focus on their fight to stay in the Airtricity Premier Division